2mesjobs 2M Employment Solutions Ltd
Hours of Work: 36.5 per week
Salary: £32,268 to £37,024 per annum + exclusive benefits
Closes: 26th July 2021
Location: 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3SD
The Productivity & Skills Team is focused on inclusive growth – more local jobs and more local people benefitting from jobs. To do this we work closely with the regions universities, colleges and training providers and also employers so that the training matches their skills needs.
As Business Manager, you will bring with your expertise, excellent customer service skills and enthusiasm to help us deliver our programmes of work. The role will support the Productivity and Skills Director and the senior leadership team by coordinating deliverables and being the main point of contact for the team.
You will bring ideas, and a focus on delivery. Working closely with the Director and the wider Productivity and Skills team you will have responsibility for the day to day management of the business and project support activities.
What will you be doing?
• Work across the Productivity and Skills team to ensure there is alignment of outcomes and no duplication of effort
• Undertake programme management support for Productivity and Skills wide priorities
• Manage and coordinate input into the delivery plan, providing a single view of the entire programme and deliverables
• Develop and implement a common framework for decision making to include coordinating papers and reports for decision making and sign off at WMCA Board
• Ensure business planning operations are more orderly and streamlined, and decisions are taken and minuted
• Review the cycle of meetings, ensuring Productivity and Skills has the minimal amount of meetings that feed in to an appropriate meeting cadence
• Work closely with the Insights Team to manage the coordination and organisation of key briefings regionally as well as other key events
• Lead to the development of an operating manual supported by Project Officer – Young People
• Act as the first point of contact for wider WMCA queries, using a thorough knowledge of the workings of the Productivity and Skills team to judge who would be the best to help
• Handle issues, follow up requests, coordinate responses and provide a professional service to any concerns or complaints for and on behalf of the Director
• Develop and managed the team-wide risk register and issues log
• Ensure a single set of messages are embedded in presentation templates and that Productivity and Skills via the Productivity and Skills Communication Manager, are consistent in messaging and promotion
We are looking for a highly organised individual with excellent communication skills to support the team. As Business Manager, you will bring with you expertise, excellent customer service skills and enthusiasm to help us deliver our programmes.
You will have experience of business and project management with excellent knowledge of MS office. You will be an effective communicator with the ability to communicate complex ideas and will feel comfortable engaging with a wide range of internal and external partners. Our ideal applicant will have some or all of the following:
• Excellent knowledge of MS Office, databases and information systems
• Understanding of the political processes and experience of managing politically sensitive issues
• Ability to work in a pressurised environment and manage competing priorities whilst delivering on a broad range of activities and adapting to changing circumstances and priorities
• Ability to work independently
• Experience of office administration and organisation including secretarial support
• Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
• Ability to deal with difficult situations, with tact and diplomacy and a high degree of confidentiality, when required, to achieve desired outcomes
• Ability to work in a progressive/fast-moving environment, prioritising workloads and projects to set deadlines
• Ability to forward plan and prioritise workload
• Personal and professional demeanour / credibility which will command the confidence of key stakeholders, staff, the local community, public and private sector partners and fosters a positive reputation for the WMCA
• Proven team management skills
• Ability to work at a high level on own initiative using judgment and displaying resilience
About the team
Productivity & Skills, the employment, education, and skills arm of the West Midlands Combined Authority is committed to ensuring that every resident can reach their potential and that business growth is accelerated through access to a skilled workforce. We focus on improving skill levels, tackling poor connectivity, and increasing employment opportunities. We help more people access high-quality training and employment opportunities, increase skills levels in priority growth sectors and create a responsive regional skills system that provides people with the skills to sustain good jobs and careers.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region, and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better-connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List, and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward-thinking, and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done and encourage creativity, originality, and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration, and communications – bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian, and ethnic minority groups, and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive a benefits package that includes 27 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Please click ‘Apply’ to be redirected to our online application site.