2mesjobs 2M Employment Solutions Ltd
Hours of Work: 36.5 per week
Salary: £37,024 to £41,671 per annum + exclusive benefits
Closes: 22nd August 2021
Location: 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3SD
Our Housing and Regeneration Directorate delivers some of the biggest housing and regeneration projects in the country and plays an integral role in a delivery-orientated organisation. We are focused on delivering high-quality housing, commercial and mixed-use development at pace and scale, and are committed to working collaboratively to achieve inclusive growth for the region.
We are looking for a commercially astute Development Manager with experience of managing complex projects from start to finish. You will take sites which the WMCA is considering acquiring, investing in, or disposing of, from concept through approvals to delivery on the ground – managing the governance, budget control, project development, and due diligence processes as applicable from start to finish, against a backdrop of a uniquely challenging and political environment.
This role will lead work on the delivery of bespoke Asset Disposal Strategies for individual high-profile land projects and will support the wider work of the Directorate on a cross-cutting Strategic Asset Disposals Strategy. In addition, the role also leads on ensuring the effective implementation and integration of key policy work by the Directorate into land, investment, and delivery – namely AMC, Zero Carbon, Affordable Housing and Employment Land policy. A key element will be working in a fully cross-cutting way both across the Housing and Regeneration Team itself and in close collaboration with the wider Combined Authority and other public and private sector partners.
What will you be doing?
• Support the Head of Strategic Assets with the systematic review of sites to identify and take forward opportunities for property development and disposal
• Develop and champion the integration of AMC, Zero Carbon, Employment Land, and other emerging applicable policy into all site development and disposal strategies
• Support the negotiation of strategic development partnerships and joint ventures
• Undertake and coordinate technical due diligence, including instructing valuations and development appraisals
• Develop and manage relationships with external partners and agencies appointed through the WMCA framework and development process
• Prepare de-risking strategies (e.g. securing planning, carrying out demolition works, site surveys, and other miscellaneous remediation)
• Identify opportunities to utilise devolved Housing and Land Funds to lever in and broker private sector investment to remediate sites for the purpose of development or disposal
• Producing accurate, concise reports, business plans, and briefings
• Support colleagues in negotiating terms for the disposal of identified sites with landowners and agents
• Devise creative disposal strategies ensuring that all Constitutional governance requirements are met
• Draft site disposal strategies and manage competitive developer procurement exercises
• Take a lead role in the procurement of consultant teams and other relevant advisors
• Manage risk by reporting appropriately and ensure that mitigation measures are in place
Already RICS qualified or working towards, you will have already gained some relevant experience in a similar role with similar outputs. You will have demonstrable experience in drafting effective disposal strategies, incorporating the procurement and management of contractors, and integration of relevant policies. With excellent stakeholder engagement and technical skills, you will be skilled at communicating, managing budgets, and navigating a challenging political climate.
• Experience of identifying sites with development potential
• Experience of working collaboratively and proactively on complex projects
• Experience of managing land-based development projects
• Experience of assisting in the negotiating terms for the purchase and/or disposal of identified sites with landowners and agents
• Experience in creating business cases to support bids to secure funding for site derisking works, land acquisition, or disposal
• Experience of delivery in a range of housing markets
About the team
West Midlands Combined Authority’s Housing & Land Team is developing the UK’s most successful, innovative and delivery-focused housing and regeneration programme, combining the very best of the public and private sectors to drive inclusive growth in all parts of the region. The Housing & Land Team is at the forefront of implementing WMCA’s inclusive growth mission, and demonstrating the links between housing, skills, transport, health, and economic growth. A whole team approach that combines working with local councils, LEPs, Whitehall, and the private sector sits front and centre of our way of working.
Our overall aim and ambition: “To enable the delivery of 215,000 new homes by 2031, significantly increasing the proportion of affordable housing and driving new quality and design benchmarks”.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region, and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better-connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List, and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our employees feel they can make a difference and are excited by the growth and the potential to shape the future. As we undergo a period of significant change, our employees are engaging with what is going on and we are encouraging a culture where people feel they can contribute towards improvements.
We’re ambitious, forward-thinking, and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
If your values align with ours and you’re committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration, and communications – bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
We are committed to developing an organisation that is representative of the diverse communities that we serve and welcome applications from all sections of the community. The following groups are currently underrepresented: young people, Black, Asian, and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
We are a Disability Confident Employer and offer a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed. Wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance.
We’re dedicated to providing a broad range of rewards and benefits and constantly benchmark our benefits packages to ensure they are attractive for all our people. As well as a competitive salary, employees also receive 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and access to a great pension scheme.
Please click ‘Apply’ to be redirected to our online application site.
To apply for this job please visit emea3.recruitmentplatform.com.