2mesjobs 2M Employment Solutions Ltd
Head of Programmes
Hours: Full Time, 37.5 hours per week
Contract: 5 years, fixed term
Location: Predominantly Westminster, but also Ripley in Surrey
Salary: up to £31,000 depending on experience
About the Caxton Youth Organisation
Established in 1948, Caxton works to advance the personal development of young people with disabilities between the ages of 11 and 25 in the City of Westminster. The young people we work with have multiple disabilities. They have huge potential but face multiple disadvantages, such as prejudice, exclusion, lack of employability and inadequate social support. Caxton is a very fun, friendly and much-loved youth centre that offers four main programmes for our members: Independence; Health & Personal Care; Employability; and Opportunities. Working at Caxton is an extremely rewarding experience, from the young people to their families to our external partners; it is a chance to be a part of something good. Its annual budget turnover is currently around £220k pa.
This role has two primary functions:
1. To lead the Youth Work Team, ensuring that the minimum outcomes are met for each young person, across all four Programmes, including line management responsibilities for the Youth Work Team.
2. To lead Caxton Youth Organisation’s Social and Emotional Wellbeing Programme, which is based on the ‘five ways to wellbeing’ model for good mental health, which focuses on connecting with other people, getting physically active, being mindful, learning new skills and helping others.
• To contribute to the provision of a welcoming environment for young people, ensuring that premises are prepared, and cleaned up at the end of each session.
• To provide for the social educational needs of young people with disabilities, through developmental youth work.
• To ensure that no young person suffers discrimination in access to provision as a result of their gender, ethnic identity, sexuality, disability and/or social background.
• To liaise with other workers and agencies in the area to create opportunities for Caxton’s members to achieve more.
• To meet any administrative requirements of the senior management team.
• To work within and according to Caxton Youth Organisation’s policies and procedures.
• To encourage participation and promote responsibility among the membership.
• To work in a supportive manner with the staff team, volunteers and trainees.
• To undertake training relevant to the post, as identified through supervision.
• To undertake any other such duties commensurate with the post as directed by the CEO and/or line manager
Skills and Abilities
• Has a Youth Work qualification, preferably at degree-level
• Excellent written and communication skills
• Has a good understanding of different communication methods, including Makaton
• Advanced use of Microsoft packages, including Word and Excel
• Extensive youth work experience with young people with disabilities or communication issues
• Extensive experience of programme design and delivery
• Experience of internal monitoring and evaluation of staff and project outputs
• Experience of detailed reporting to funders on all aspects of the programme and services (narrative and financial)
• Direct line management experience
• Has a comprehensive understanding of safeguarding and confidentiality
• A good understanding of issues surrounding young people with disabilities
• Has in-depth knowledge of the communication needs of disabled young people, specifically those on the autistic spectrum
Personal Attributes and Other Requirements
• Is able to work as part of a team and to use own initiative
• Is willing to travel and to work unsociable hours, including evenings and occasional weekends
• A highly motivated and energetic leader
• Self-starter, able to use own initiative to show insight and manage complex situations and processes between people
• Is dependable and professional
• The ability to remain calm when working under pressure
Caxton Youth Organisation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We will consider all reasonable adjustments under the terms of the Equality Act (2010) to enable an applicant with a disability (as defined under the Act) to meet the requirements of the post. We encourage applicants from underrepresented groups.
Caxton Youth Organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post including checks with past employer and the DBS.
Please click ‘Apply’ in order to continue your application.