2mesjobs 2M Employment Solutions Ltd
Programme Assurance Specialist
Hours of Work: 36.5 per week
Salary: £40,461 – £45,536 + benefits per annum + exclusive benefits
Closes: 2021-06-27 T11:59:00
Location: 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3SD
As Programme Assurance Specialist, you will provide professional programme assurance to the West Midlands Combined Authority and its directorates. You’ll have specific responsibility for the development and delivery of an integrated Programme Assurance Plan and ongoing advice and guidance to project leads, to assist with the successful development and delivery of investment projects in accordance with WMCA’s Single Assurance Framework (SAF).
What will you be doing?
• Coordinate and conduct independent ‘2nd line of defence’ assurance reviews in accordance with the Programme Assurance Plan to establish, and monitor completion of, any project improvement recommendations
• Support with the development of pre-qualification criteria for WMCA investments
• Support in the development of the annual Integrated Programme Assurance Plan (incorporating Business Case assessments, Project Health Checks, Post-Implementation Reviews and Self-Assessment validation reviews), reflecting all WMCA’s project portfolios
• Support with the pre-assessment of investment proposals to check compliance with pre-qualification criteria, identify the appropriate SAF route for development and investment decision, ensuring compliance with the SAF
• Provide guidance, advice and support to Directorates, Programmes, Projects and partners to assist the successful development and delivery of investment projects in accordance with the SAF
• Work with colleagues to ensure effective Post Implementation Reviews are conducted which capture lessons learned and evaluate impacts following project closure
• Assist in the development of any third-party specialist project reviews, writing specifications for external specialists and providing any support as required
• Support processes for Senior Leadership Team review of investment proposals and proposed bids for external funds which are outside the agreed Annual Plan and significant change requests on existing investment projects
• Support the development of a Centre of Excellence for programme management in accordance with governance best practice and assurance activity findings and common themes
We’re looking for someone with experience of programme and/or project delivery and assurance, ideally in the areas of WMCA’s Investment Programme and wider Combined Authority related projects. You’ll have the experience and confidence needed to provide specialist best practice assurance advice, with the ability to constructively challenge in order to drive service and project improvements. You’ll be aware of HM Treasury’s Green Book and have a recognised, certified project management qualification.
You’ll be working across the Combined Authority and with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, and therefore excellent interpersonal and persuasive skills, with the ability to build effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders, is needed.
About the team
Our Finance & Business Hub provides essential enabling services to the West Midlands Combined Authority in areas such as Procurement, Finance, HR & Organisational Development, Risk Management and Business Planning. Our Assurance & Appraisal Team forms part of this Hub and supports senior leaders and the WMCA Board in the provision of independent, ‘second line of defence’ assurance and appraisal activity. By doing so, we help to ensure sound decisions are made regarding the investment of public funds and the delivery of value for money solutions in order to achieve strategic objectives. The team works collaboratively with project and programme teams across all directorates to support the development of robust business cases and the successful delivery of projects.
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we’ve shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands – that’s our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region – a happier, healthier, better connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are a “Leaders in Diversity” accredited organisation, are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women.
We’re ambitious, forward-thinking and determined to find better ways of working, always leading the way in what we do. We trust and support each other to get the job done and encourage creativity, originality and curiosity from those who work with us. We’re committed to creating an accessible and diverse workplace, one that nurtures an inclusive environment where our people can be themselves.
We are designing our organisation of the future and planning a new, flexible approach to the way we use our office space. This approach will mean most of us working from home some of the time and using our office space to come together to share ideas and learn from each other. We will continue to use digital technology for meetings, collaboration and communications – bringing teams together virtually wherever they’re working, saving time and spending on travel.
Please click ‘Apply’ to be redirected to our online application site.