2mesjobs 2M Employment Solutions Ltd
Job Title: Software Developer
Location: Eastleigh, Hampshire (Temporarily Remote)
Salary: c.£30,000 per annum
Vocational Training Charitable Trust (VTCT) is a specialist awarding organisation (AO) and current market leader in the Hair and Beauty sectors. Launched in 1962, it offers vocational and technical qualifications, including apprenticeships, in a range of service sectors.
As the world changes, so too do the requirements of education and VTCT plays a vital role in enhancing vocational and technical education standards, championing this work in UK parliament, being a voice for the education of the next generation, not just in the UK, but globally.
With a strong vision and an experienced leadership team, we have created an environment ready to embrace the challenges of a new era for the organisation. Our ambitious five-year corporate strategy gives us a strong position from which to find team players ready to join us on this exciting journey.
Reporting to the Head of ICT the role is responsible for the support, maintenance, development, continuity and effective operation of our learning management system, in addition to developing XML/JSON interfaces in our learning management system based on available data structures.
The role provides access to all system data, which includes learner records, so the holder must be both trustworthy and beyond reproach.
Principal Responsibilities include:
1. Carry out project planning, system architecture, database modelling, requirement analysis, software development, end user testing and deployment for the learner management system.
2. Perform ongoing design, administration, development and maintenance of the SQL Server database, carrying out regular checks and database optimisations to ensure optimum performance for users, along with Web server (Internet Information Server) management, configuration and website deployment.
3. Provide ongoing support for the learning management system and interfaces, and respond to any issues in a timely manner.
4. Carry out improvements to the system based on feedback received and approved on ICT Trello boards and ensure that all changes are supported by a change request (approved, where necessary) in the ICT Change Request JIRA.
5. Create various regulatory reports on an ad-hoc basis.
6. Attend relevant meetings to provide guidance and training on different modules within the system, or as part of the ICT team.
The successful candidate will have:
• Knowledge of system analysis, Project Management, System architect design, development, integration and change management of large scale Learning Management System.
• Knowledge of a wide range of computer programmes including:
• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / 2012 / 2014 / 2016 Admin
• SQL, Transact-SQL
• Stored Procedures, Functions, Views
• ASP.Net / C#, Java Script, AJAX, jQuery, HTML, CSS, XML, PHP
• Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2017
• Visual Studio online team foundation services for version control
• Trello (software project management and issue tracking)
• Be aware of key business objectives, and ensure these are incorporated into all decisions.
• Able to develop effective relationships with all staff, and be recognised as providing a supporting role.
• Able to anticipate and understand customer expectations, and ensure customer requirements are met and expectations appropriately managed.
• Good communication skills suitable for liaising with departmental staff and senior management.
• Able to contribute effectively towards the objectives of a team, and be able to share knowledge, ideas and information. Aware of the needs, objectives and constraints of those in other disciplines and functions.
• Demonstrable project experience in large scale learning management systems • Bachelors Degree in Software engineering/system modelling
It would be desirable for the successful candidate to have:
• Common desktop operating systems (Windows, Mac etc.)
• Common desktop browsers (IE, Chrome etc.)
Large Scale Database design, data modeling, database backups restore
• Data migration / import, data cleansing, manipulation and analysis of large datasets using T-SQL Scripts
• Database and system integration
• Query optimization, refactoring, performance tuning
• Internet Information Server (IIS)
• FTP, FileZilla client and server
• Software Installation & Configuration
• Able to identify business opportunities, and be aware of the associated risks.
• Understands and promotes VTCT strategies, policies and procedures. Aware of how the organisation operates.
• Good at determining a course of action by breaking it down into smaller steps and by planning and resourcing each of these, making allowance for potential problems.
• 5+ years with provable experience in large scale learning management systems • Masters Degree in Software engineering/system modelling
Based in our Eastleigh office, this full-time post attracts a generous package of terms and conditions including 26 days holiday per annum, a group stakeholder pension and free parking.
Closing date: Midday on Monday 25th January 2021
The group of VTCT companies includes: the charity VTCT through which main Board business and governance is transacted; Digital Assess Software Ltd which is a wholly owned trading subsidiary of VTCT; and EMS Ltd, t/a ITEC, a wholly owned trading subsidiary of VTCT.
If you wish to apply for this exciting opportunity, please click apply and send us your comprehensive CV including full work and educational history.